From the land of the lost...there is life.

Tuesday, June 04, 2002

The Curse of the Microwave

I've been a good boy lately...eating a packed lunch vs. heading out to eat somewhere with coworkers.


That said, I'd rather get the opportunity to hang out with co-workers. I am saving money and eating more healthy as a result, but somedays I just need to get out of the office. When I pack my lunch, I eat at my desk. The end result can be devastating if you do not clean up after yourself. Luckily I do.


Anyway, I'm zapping a frozen lunch in the microwave and catch myself bitching about how long they take to heat up. And it only takes 7 minutes at the most, typically.


I would argue most fast food drive throughs won't get you in and out in under 7 minutes during the lunch hour. But good old technology spoils us. So we sit in front of the microwave tapping our watch, we speed through our voicemail prompts with savant-like reflexes and we look down on a Web page if it does not load instantly.


One of our bosses noted how a creative team conducted a photo shoot for an ad in 45 minutes...when photo shoots typically take anywhere from 4 hours to 4 days-depending on the situation. That said, he forgot to note how many hours in Photoshop it took to retouch the photo before it could be used in the ad.


What am I getting at? The need for speed is ridiculous. Speed Kills.


"Speed without Strategy is Futile," says Alvin Toffler


And I blame ALL of it on the microwave. If only to oversimplify the matter.