From the land of the lost...there is life.

Monday, May 27, 2002

graveyard run

one of my neighborhood runs takes me through a nearby cemetery. my wife actually started walking this route and I picked it up as well.

now for those of you who do not realize it, running in a graveyard has many positives. little traffic, if any...well paved road...nice scenery...quiet...and arguably safer than running elsewhere.

some may feel it's disrespectful. but I mean no disrespect...travelling around the outer rim of the graveyard. I rationalize this makes me less visible to visitors. well, today is memorial day and there was no getting around being seen by visitors. in fact there was an outdoor mass in progress this morn as I ran by.

"Glory glory Halleluiah" was being sung as I ran by. so maybe today I should have stayed away?

on an odd note, some of teresa's relatives are buried in the same area as my Dad, brother, uncles, grandparents and a few cousins. [note to self: keep running as it would appear longevity in my family is not a common trait] and we run/walk by this area each time we go through. I get a calming feeling when I run through actually. maybe this has something to do with it. the only time I could see graveyards being a bad thing are at night and around halloween? otherwise they are quite beautiful places.

this reminds me that I have many other thoughts and theories on death that I must share with you sometime. until then...