From the land of the lost...there is life.

Saturday, May 18, 2002

More of the numbers game

So for the past 8 months I have been dieting. In fact, my diet probably made it even easier to stop drinking - if there is such a thing as easy when it comes to stopping.

Anyway, one of the side benefits to my diet was the impact it would hopefully have on my cholesterol. After my daughter was born, we decided we'd best get our house in order. We had the wills drawn up and got life insurance. And now I am worth more dead than alive. Anyways, the life insurance people informed me - post physical - that they locked me in at a higher rate due to my cholesterol.

It registered a 277 on the richter scale. Anything under 200 is a good thing. Anything over is heart stopping. Sooo since then, I have had it restested 3 times. I immediately got a second opinion and it was down to 266. After four to six months of dieting I came back in at 211 and just recently it came back in at 209. It could be better, but the continual decline keeps me off LIPITOR.

Do any of you remember the cheesy Lipitor commercial? It has already been replaced by a hipper one. But anyways, this lady picks up her husband and, as he climbs into the car, he says, "MY DOCTOR TOLD ME ABOUT LIPITOR." And it is clearly voiced over which gives it an emotion-free robotic feeling that should accompany any pharmacuetical ad darnit.

So NO meds for this guy. next up, I get yet another blood test to lock myself back into my life insurance at a lower rate. ahhh, exciting shit, no?