From the land of the lost...there is life.

Wednesday, May 22, 2002

project: greenergrass

stayed up till 2:30 am this morning crunching numbers. our proactive look into the housing market took us to two house visits last evening. the house visits were the fun part...then came the hard part.

MATH

the good news is it forced me to take a hard look at everything. I realized we spend a shit load of money on this and that...non-budget line items that eat up at least a third of my paycheck. I also realized the downside of being proactive on our part - more savings are needed. of course we saw a house that we loved and is ultimately in our price range, BUT. we just need more money in the bank to get out of our current house and into our next house comfortably. and by comfortable I mean ME not laying awake at night sweating over how it's all gonna work. the whole process is sooo friggin expensive: closing costs, home warranties, property taxes, insurance and PMI. makes me wanna drink.

I've resigned myself to let the perfect house go and to not act rashly. and in the meantime we know what we need to do and have started the preapproval process so that when we are ready...IT'S GO TIME!

this brutal numbers crunching session also showed me what the infamous 3 to 6 month cushion would be. now if only I had THAT saved up as well.

told ya I was mr white bread suburban. wanna see pics of my 2.3 kids standing by the white picket fence? {editor's note: we've only one child and no picket fences...thankyouverymuch}