From the land of the lost...there is life.

Tuesday, May 28, 2002

ripple

no. this headline is not a reference to cheap liquor. it is the title of a grateful dead tune I would like played at my wake.

I make music mixes like some people make cookies. as a result I have begun planning the ultimate mix. the one they play at my wake.

this is one tall order, but I think I can handle it. the key is getting more upbeat, optimistic and happy tunes to add to the list along with Ripple. that said I do not think the song is totally sad per se. but you be the judge. lyrics are posted below.

This gets me thinking about Irish wakes, but that is a whole other post now isn't it? Along with a few bizarre ideas I joke about for my layout. One example is a burial robe made entirely out of proscuitto. But you're cheating. This is for a different post.



Ripple


If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine

And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung

Would you hear my voice come through the music

Would you hold it near as it were your own?



It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken

Perhaps they're better left unsung

I don't know, don't really care

Let there be songs to fill the air



Chorus

Ripple in still water

When there is no pebble tossed

Nor wind to blow



Reach out your hand if your cup be empty

If your cup is full may it be again

Let it be known there is a fountain

That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway

Between the dawn and the dark of night

And if you go no one may follow

That path is for your steps alone

Chorus



You who choose to lead must follow

But if you fall you fall alone

If you should stand then who's to guide you?

If I knew the way I would take you home