From the land of the lost...there is life.

Saturday, June 01, 2002

Festival Season

Our cities annual Taste of Cincinnati event kicks off the festival season over the Memorial Day weekend. A sure sign that I'm getting older is the fact that I do not go due to the crowd. Well, that and I vowed to never take a stroller to that event. And I made this vow as a single person and plan to stick with it. As a parent I would not do it for the sake of the kid. As a single I vowed not to do it as it was such a pain in the ass to get around a stroller in a steady flow of people.

That curmudgeon confession aside, I do not swear off all festivals. Panegryi is an annual Greek festival that proves to be quite the feast. Sure there are gyros aplenty, but great salads, spanekopita and baklava...mmm mmm. It's all good.

And this year I have seen signs for another feastival: GOETTAFEST 2002. Goetta is made of pork, spices and oats that are formed into a loaf and then cooked in a skillett and typically served for breakfast. Once again...mmm mmm. Those german sausage makers that created this tasty breakfast treat new what they were doing. It's a standard part of my meal when we visit Price Hill Chili for breakfast. And I should note that Sebastian's is right up the street from Price Hill Chili and they serve the cities BEST gyros.

Enough homage to fatty foods. This year I will note I am going to miss BOTH festivals as I will be on vacation. Rats. But that should not stop you from going my fine friends. And if you're really up for some abuse, check out any one of the gajillion parish festivals that occur over on the West side. All you need is a little beer and a whack sense of humor and you'll enjoy yourself for all the wrong reasons.