From the land of the lost...there is life.

Wednesday, October 09, 2002

relief

Three weeks left and counting in what might be my busiest month of the year. Luckily we've sailed successfully through the biggest week. The work event I was running had awesome turn out. I also managed to write a nine-page strategic plan for another client that was approved in its entirety. So after being completely in the zone for the past two to three weeks, it feels good knowing I survived the high water mark. It feels great knowing I did it successfully.

Now I need to catch up on everything I blew off last week while I was pulling the event together. Today and tonight I have been getting reacquainted with my family. My daughter loves the giant super ball I bought her (hotel gift shop or hotel guilt shop?). When you slam it on the ground, lights flash and sound effects come crashing out of it.

Next up is the move. We close on both houses in one day and immediately begin prepping the house we'll move into. We've got seven days to get a few key things done prior to the big move like painting some bedrooms before getting some carpet put in. We've been watching Trading Spaces for inspiration and encouragement. Heck, seven days are 3.5 projects for them. The stuff we'll do before moving in should be easy though.

I'm glad this month is busy in certain respects as I approach the end of my first year of sobriety. It makes it easier to stay sober when I am that focused on work. The only problem is I do not work on my recovery as a person and spiritually while I am in that zone. Not drinking is simply not enough. But recognizing this fact alone was a wee bit of growth, so hopefully I can address it more in the future. That way my recovery will have peaks and valleys much like my work. It occurs to me I may never have mentioned the first book I read on alcoholism. It is the one that helped me the most: First-Year Sobriety: When all that changes is everything. I just realized the cover is pink. I get the joke now. Anway, check it out. It's a good, fast read.