From the land of the lost...there is life.

Thursday, July 25, 2002

runRUNrun

someone once asked me if I was running FROM something or running TO something when I ran. this person was one of the many that--understandably--can not identify with the sport of running.

running is probably the only physical activity I have gotten into. and I have the hardest time trying to tell people why I do it.

sure, it makes me feel good, keeps weight off and gives me a sense of accomplishment. but I cannot encapsulate the rest of the benefits I get from it...not easily anyway. luckily this is a blog and I'm in a writin' mood. so I'll give it a shot.

running helps me think clearly. my body settles into a routine after a mile and a half and the brain can relax a bit. running helps me beat the stress out of my body. had a bad day? run 3 or more miles and you'll be less pissed off then before you started. running also lets me wrestle with the strongest organ in my body (wait for it) the brain. typically, my biggest challenge with every run is my mental game. my body stops bitching after the mile and a half warm up. my brain bitches pretty much until the last half mile or so.

so my answer to that person's question today would be: c) all of the above. I run from stress and anxiety, thinking more clearly on how to effectively deal with these emotions. I run to feel better about myself and to keep off the 50 pounds I dropped in the last year.

if you're one of the many, you might note that running wreaks havoc on your knees and body.

bite me. I will run until the doctor tells me its time to stop or when my body sends me that same message.

(segue as lost one steps onto soapbox)

I am *soooo very tired* of adopting a healthy habit like running or eating healthy food like granola and one episode of Dateline has everyone reminding me how bad granola is for me. to them I say, um, it's two shakes and a SENSIBLE meal...that biggie size combo meal ain't exactly what the folks at slimfast had in mind.

seriously though. let's look at eggs. they were incredible and edible...then they were deadly cholesterol bombs waiting to clog your heart. and now they've come full circle and are good for ya again. a report from the American Medical Association stated eggs aren't as deadly for you as everyone thought.

fuck it. when my legs go, I'm switching to an all bacon diet. it could kill me, or it could ensure I live forever...

mhmmwah-hah-hah-hah (evil laugh as lost one steps off soapbox, clicks post and publish)