From the land of the lost...there is life.

Thursday, July 25, 2002

train-of-thought technology

Sitting here at work, I am fried...again. I have bursts of productivity where I am ON with a laser focus-kicking ass and taking names. Or, to quote Elvis, "a little less conversation, a little more action." The end result, however, are down periods like this one. I am spent and cannot focus. My mind wanders to non-9 to 5 stuff. Stuff I want to focus on rather than the work I need to focus on.

This most recent burst was to put some distance between me and the $2K mistake my CEO feels we made. There is a lot of time-sensitive work to do on my account right now too. So even without the so-called mistake, this burst was warranted.

Anyway, I read another blog article recently. I actually liked this one. Most of these articles have been lame and sensational...assuming the reader is barely internet friendly...much less blog friendly. Not suprisingly, the piece ran in Information Week. Typically this pub is far too techie for me. I still get it from the dotcom fever days when I pitched high tech clients.

Thanks to its technical focus, it skips most of the pablum. There is still the obligatory "weblog, or "blog" for short" reference in the piece. This journalist actually takes the time to visit some blogs and sprinkles the piece with specific, relevant quotes to make his points. I like how he refers to blogs as complimentary information channels and train-of-thought technology. He also mentions that if you keep a blog at work, on work...a blog that is completely work related, it is a great way to take your good ideas with you to your next job. You wind up recording your intellectual capital, thoughts, observations, and contributions. "Blogging is a way to protect the most important brand of all: yourself."

And we can all use a little extra protection these days, can't we?