From the land of the lost...there is life.

Wednesday, June 19, 2002

errands, and good problems to have

typically after I vent with someone, I throw out the caveat "these are good problems to have." this is done if only to qualify my bitching and moaning within the context of real life. lets be honest, if someone gave you a bar of gold, SOMEONE would bitch that it was too heavy or that silver and platinum are trading at higher levels and are therefore more valuable. so noting I have good problems to have trys to recognize the fact that there are others more deserving of help and concern.

caveats aside, prepping for vacations can really suck. there are seemingly endless lists of things you need to find, buy, prep or pack prior to leaving on your journey. this trip is no different. in addition to packing for ourselves, we're packing for our 14 month old daughter. as a result, you have to pack while considering several possible contingencies: what if she gets sick? plenty of sun protection, plenty of props, toys and books to entertain her during the 2 legs of our journey (each one lasting six hours).

I would love to also have some nyquil at the ready as a last resort ;-) to ensure a peaceful drive. sure its the equivalent of slipping my daughter a roofie, but we all remember piling into the family station wagon and chanting over and over "ARE WE THERE YET?" a 14 month old knows only one way to express her desire to be out of the car and at the final destination" CRYING. but alas, we will not be taking such drastic measures. we have picked up a couple of new toys for her that she will not get until she's in the van. that should at least get us to the highway!

another good problem to have...bathing suit issues. I am a guy and could just as easily wear old cutoff shorts to swim in. but I seem to have like 5 different pairs of swim trunks. this is because I never threw any away. the oldest could be dating back to like early to mid-1990s.

why am I oversharing? well it turns out this is a good thing. last year I bought two new suits and I've lost like 50 pounds since then. so the new suits might not fit. fine, fine mock me "what's a girl to do?" I do not even know why I am posting this other than to note the fact that I lost 50 pounds.

well, it IS a blog. so yea for me. and see the lead into this post before you mock me or send hate mail.