From the land of the lost...there is life.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Three LONG, DRY Years

This is to mark the passing of my 3rd anniversary of being sober.

Luckily in this time, I realized WHY I was drinking. Which brings me to my most favorite line from the realm of recovery:

"Emotions are not facts we have to act upon."

Now, I have somehow done this without AA. As my Dad was in AA for many moons, it makes me wonder if I am missing something. More importantly it makes me wonder if I am only partially where I need to be as it relates to recovery. By this I mean I realize that I am an alcoholic and, while I may be recovering, I will always be an alcoholic. Sobriety is a journey and not a destination and in a few seconds, I could be off the wagon.

But have I cleaned up my life completely? My fear is that if I have not, I could lapse back into drink mode.

But I have always been an anxious andy about life in general so this is normal for me I guess.

Did I mention I am at a new job after 8 years? So far so good as I get adjusted and shake off 8 years of dust.

Speaking of 8, my 8th grade reunion was held recently. I could not go as I had a wedding to attend (pretty much the only thing that could trump a time-based event like a reunion). Anyway, I got an odd letter in the mail yesterday. It turns out someone blew up my photo and displayed it at the reunion? A few folks signed it and the group that showed up for the reunion (12 people maybe) all posed for a group picture. That was sent along as well. It was flattering to get the letter I guess and, honestly, even more rewarding to see how I look compared to some of my former classmates. But the whole thing was a bit surreal upon opening the letter.

Speaking of shaking off dust, welcome back to my blog. Some folks stop writing when things go well in their lives. And while things are going well for me, that is not necessarily why I lapsed here. I need Vita. But the muse for writing here was missing in action. It might be due to the focus I have on my work blog right now. And if you have read this far, I dunno why you would care. But I would like the record to show that it is not because life is good.

As you can tell from this meandering post, I am still all four kinds of fucked up. Sober or drunk. :-)