From the land of the lost...there is life.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

veni, vedi, venti

Sweet Lord, where do I begin? Well, if you are here, you most likely know me. So I can skip the catch up. New job, blah, blah, blah.

I love working downtown. My old work gave me a sendoff and parting gifts. One of these gifts is a Starbucks gift card. I'm about two blocks away from the green meanie. In lieu of having any social connections at my new job, stepping out for coffee...free coffee...good coffee...has seemed like a good enough idea.

Well, after two days of afternoon coffee, I am backing off. Yesterday afternoon I was too wired to be useful. Could not even channel it into a creative burst. Half expected to blackout and wake up in a pool of my own urine. Did I mention I drink my coffee black? Always venti and always bold. Dumbass that I am. Starbucks, or "the bux" as I know call it, is high test to begin with.

Today it was not quite as wired, but is it a coincidence I got overwhelmed with work this afternoon and got a wee bit anxious? Had an impromptu late afternoon meeting (a new quirk of my new job I am still trying to adapt to) and literally had to leave the meeting to go pick up daughter. Ran to my car...three blocks away. Oy. The phrase "chaos magnet" running through my head.

It ain't all the coffee's fault, but I am going on the wagon with afternoon coffee just the same.

Weight is back up and I need to lose at least 10 pounds. I can try and blame this on my now pregnant wife, but she has not been force feeding me. The pregnancy is to blame for the influx of comfort foods into the home, but that's where it ends.

To combat the work anxiety, I am staying up late tonight to try and at least get organized and get ahead for tomorrow. Yeah, it makes no sense, but for the ADD procrastinator in me working harder is my tried and true solution. So I just stepped out to have a smoke and brewed some coffee. Yes. I am a dumbass. But it's the easiest way to move ahead on all things work.

The new job is nearly a month old and I need to engage. I'm trying to ramp up and get acclimated to a new environment after being settled into my old job for many years. But I need to lead with my instincts on things and I am still gun shy. Not good with a lot of work to do. We're in annual planning and I need to move ahead on a lot of fronts. My new boss is cool and patient, but I do not want to test this person's patience. I want to reaffirm their choice in hiring me.

So here we are. Me blogging away like a fool.

It is getting colder out these days. Sky was very clear with stars out. Beautiful as I smoked and cleared the head before digging in for the evening. It has been awhile since I blogged regularly here. While I miss it, life has been very good. Daughter is in preschool and taking Catechises class once a week (religion class). Only 3 years old and getting into religion in a very new way. I went to parochial school and had it beaten into me. She is learning it via the Montessori teaching process. Hopefully it will mean more to her than it did me at an early age.

Wife is pregnant and we're happy about that. It is also changing our lives right now. Our lives are full of change and most of this change is all positive in the long run. But it still takes management.

This post officially feels boring now. Until next time, ciao.