From the land of the lost...there is life.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

ass aquarium

We did church today and I decided we need to wean ourselves from the cry room. We usually sit in there, but daughter is 3 years old now and we need to get back into the general population. At her age, it starts to feel more like daycare in there. She brings in toys, snacks and even socializes a bit.

The cry room is an odd place. Tucked in the back of most churches, it is a small room with a big glass window to see out into church, most folks are in there with newborns and unruly little ones. It can get stuffy and stinky this time of year.

I've been in there when a kid was wailing and caught myself thinking "they should really take the kid to the cry room. Oh yeah, we ARE in the cry room." Some folks in there look like they are miserable, marooned with their kid. Others seem more interested in their kid than in mass. Today some guy wearing shorts brought his kid in there because he said that's where all the bad kids go for church. Then there are folks like me who clearly spend too much time noticing others.

Anyway, another phenomenon presented itself today, the ass aquarium. Our church can get crowded and people line the walls of the church and stand in the back. Some folks stand right in front of the big picture window. So, depending on the day, there are a line of butts face level with you if you are at a sitting point during the mass.

I'm an ass man and it even disturbs me. But what are you going to do?

What I also enjoyed today was when a kid started wailing and two folks who were creating the ass aquarium shot disapproving glances back into the cry room. Clearly these folks had issues with the kids. I love when this happens.

Yeah, somewhere in the middle of all of this observing, I did pray for the likes of your sad self. Not to mention my own. Lord knows I need all the help I can get!