From the land of the lost...there is life.

Sunday, December 22, 2002

shit storm

just sailed through a short week that was tall on work. got it all done though. this made me happy!

there was more chaos than seemed necessary last week. my plate is full at work. between that and being a procrastinator, the end result is conflict. at least two times this week my conflicting deadlines put others at odds. the laws of physics mean i simply am NOT going to be able to deliver everything on time.

are there ways i could have avoided all of the conflict and made the deadlines? perhaps by telling everyone about all of the deadlines so perhaps we could shuffle things around. but then there are people that would make you think that if you do not get it done by year's end, there will be no new year. the fate of the free world is in the balance and if you do not make this deadline.....TIP! the end of the year push/mania is a crock of shit. it's two fucking weeks people!

there are times i think that, despite being in marketing, i have no communication skills. i let shit like this happen.

then i stumbled onto this gem of truth on addicted bloggers:

"it's a natural response for me to feel guilty when anything chaotic happens in my life."

wow. Trinity wrote this and it nailed how i was feeling this last week to a T. we are not the axis on which chaos spins. there are times i allow myself to be put into this place. need to stop doing it, too—if only for a healthier career. while others were at odds this week, the steps i could have taken to avoid conflict might not have worked. the end of the year hurtle that has everyone frothing will not slow down if i raise a red flag, or a white one for that matter. i am not going to let myself lose sleep over it. what i am TRYING to say here is, i take responsibility for my life, but only those things that i should have control over in the first place. insert serenity prayer here.

had a great weekend, despite my daughter being sick as a dog on friday. my wife bailed out on my work christmas party and on saturday we both bailed out on an awesome annual christmas party held by a friend. all to tend to daughter. she is not herself when she is sick, but we had a great time as a family.

one more day and my ass is on vacation until NEXT YEAR. it's a short list i have to accomplish tomorrow too. phew!

looking forward to posting more thoughtful stuff up here during the break. but i will warn you...it took me a couple of days just to formulate these thoughts. too much work writing is draining my work up here i guess?! that and the end of the year crunch at home. but that crunch is a fun one, not so much a conflict per se. looking forward to the holidays. :-)